Sojourn of Tamil Nadu

Day 3 – The End of the World (as Indians would know it)

An early start to the morning included a hasty breakfast and a long snooze in the Innova while on our way to the southern most town of India, Kanyakumari. The town of Kanyakumari is host to the southern most point of the country, Indira Point, which was sadly mostly washed away by the tsunami of 2004 that affected many more coastlines and their towns in the Indian Ocean. The town was over 5 hours away from Rameshwaram and the roads to the town were uneven. Sometimes the roads would be made well and smooth. Sometimes the roads would resemble the construction of said road at the halfway stage. The snooze was interrupted only to note windmill farms on both sides and the closeness of the coastline on our left. The drive to Kanyakumari was fabulous but the roads slightly dampened the effect of the view.

We reached our hotel only to find that it is currently under renovation and that the lifts weren’t working. Considering my grandmother and great aunt were travelling with us, we were wondering how to cope with this inconvenience but luckily our rooms were only a flight of stairs away. We then quickly finished our lunch and proceeded to the ferry junction, which would take us to the Vivekananda Rock Memorial and the Thiruvellu Statue, which was around a couple hundred metres away from the town by boat. But to our disappointment, the gusty winds were making the waves too choppy for any catamaran or ferry to travel on and thus the service was cancelled for the day. This meant that the hundreds of tourists were left to explore the jutting out piece of land that extended right into the ocean and the nearby Bhagvathi Amman Temple. The Sunset Point was also of interest to many but the sunset time was at least a couple of hours away.

We walked around to the jutting piece of land and were almost swept away by the forceful winds, my mother and I, while clicking pictures and admiring the strength and will of the fisher folk to continue with their lives as if nothing had happened to them 9 years ago. Of course, because of no ferry service, these people were left with nothing to do for the rest of the day. We also saw a man telling people’s fortunes with a parrot, the name ‘Parrot telling Tarot’ popping into my head. I sat down and the man couldn’t understand my name. No worries because his parrot was the most adorable thing. The only problem was that he spoke only Tamil, which my grandmother translated. The gist of his fortune telling included a happy workplace, a satisfied spiritual life and a very intelligent mind. He also said that into whichever family I marry; I will have a very successful life. Now considering that he took only Rs. 20 for this nugget of destiny, he might have not even been telling the truth. For my satisfaction, I truly hope he was.

We then went to the Bhagvathi Amman temple, or rather my grandmother and my great aunt went. After that, we unsuccessfully tried to gaze into the horizon for the oncoming sunset that was unfortunately blocked by the gloomy clouds that were collecting over the skyline. The only ray of hope (literal in the sense) was a small sliver of clear sky through which we could see the magnificent change in colours. Walking so much caught up with us as we turned in early again on guess what, CHRISTMAS EVE! The journey comes to a full circle with us returning to Madurai again tomorrow.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s